Boston's Baptism

Our first born son, Boston got baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (our church) on August 1st. In our church, kids get baptized at 8 years old. So I've been just crying the past year every time I've thought about it. Mostly just cause I'm thinking of my little baby is not a little baby anymore and what this means. Getting baptized is a big deal and he is ready for it.
On the particular day everything went a little differently than I expected. All my tears shed that day weren't from thinking of my little boy grown up, they were from a much deeper realization.

The circumstances of his baptism were a little different than other kids across the west being baptized. Most children that are 8, go with other kids that also turned 8 that month and they all get baptized within the same hour or so in the same program. Boston's date was with other kids in our stake. But our ward had planned a Fathers and Sons camp out and returning that morning in time to join the other baptism kids wasn't realistic. We got special permission from the stake leader who is in charge of coordinating such things, and he said we could do it when we got back. (It all has to do with clean up and the baptismal font, and it isn't realistic to do 12 different programs in a month - that is why they group all the kids together.)

I knew this may be the only chance that it would just be our family in charge of the program. So I assigned out things like the prayers and the music. I gave myself the talk on the Holy Ghost, and Miles a special musical number.

The morning of, I wake up without my boys or Adam. I spent a peaceful time preparing my talk and remembering stories and reading scriptures. The tears shed at this point were just an overwhelming feeling of how right the world was; that everything happening this day was extremely important and how ready we are all for it. Going through my own memories of the Holy Ghost in my life constantly and when there were times that particularly stood out.

The boys returned so dirty and with so many stories. I invited Boston into the office with me so we could have a special moment before he began getting ready. We talked about his baptism and he was very excited. I told him that he should find a quiet moment in his room with the door shut to say a prayer. Pray about whatever comes to your mind, if you're nervous and giving thanks. He told me a story that just happened to him the night before. While off looking for a stick to roast marshmallows, he got kinda far from the group. He felt scared so he sang some Primary songs he learned in church and he felt better. He began to cry as he told me this story. We hugged and shed a few special tears, and he left to pray in his room.

He and Adam got ready together dressed in their Sunday best. We had bought Boston a new tie and new Sunday pants. With their baptism clothes (all white) and towels and dry underwear in tow, they left for the church.

Upon arriving I saw Boston and Adam dressed in their whites sitting in the front. Through most of the program I sat just behind Boston. His Grandma White led the music, Grandma Reed said the opening prayer, and Grandpa White gave the talk on Baptism. We enjoyed all his words and it was soothing to listen to his voice and his stories. Then Miles sang "When I am Baptized" or many of you know it as the "I like to look for rainbows" song. Truly touching. He has a naturally deep voice, so many of these primary songs that have higher notes in them are difficult. He sang the whole song in falsetto:

I like to look for rainbows, whenever there is rain
And ponder on the beauty of the earth made clean again
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain,
I want to be the best I can, and live with God again

I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away
And I can be forgiven and improve myself each day
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain,
I want to be the best I can, and live with God again.


This was so touching. During his song, I felt so peaceful. I felt how pure my children are and how like the Savior they are. How, if we could all just be as this precious child singing this song, we all would "live with God again". So pure and precious to behold his song.
I stood up to give my talk after this, just wet with tears. I found my ability to speak, and looked right at Boston. He had tears down his cheeks. He had been crying through that song. Our son Boston has been a sensitive child his whole life. Sensitive where such a feeling is needed. And looking at him and his wide eyes and wet face, I realized some very incredible things. These realizations and whisperings from the Spirit to my heart are too precious a pearl for me to share here. Very valuable experience that I will hold dear and treasure for my whole life.

I proceeded to give my talk with a few scriptures and stories. Mine, Adam's, and Boston's tears steadily flowed through the whole talk. It's wonderful moments like this where you realize how important life is and how decisions like this that draw you closer to each other and more importantly to Heavenly Father are the most important moments of your life. We shall never forget all that happened that day.

They then went into the font and Adam performed the baptism. How special that was to watch my amazing eternal companion, my best friend and dear sweet husband baptize our first son, our precious Boston. Boston is a wonderful child who will continue to grow and amaze us. While they dried off, we sang a song and all wrote down a few thoughts for Boston. They returned and Adam through the pwer of the priesthood he holds, surrounded by his dad, my dad, Sam and Stephen, Jesse Mecham, the Bishop and Brother Tedrow, confirmed Boston a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and he received the gift of the Holy Ghost. As Adam began and he had to say Boston's name, he paused unable to speak.

We closed singing a hymn, "I Believe in Christ". My children know this song well and Boston was singing loud. I went to sit by Boston (Miles had moved) and saw that he was crying while singing. I of course was already crying, and he put his arms around me and I around him and we both sang the song, crying. To be his mother is a very special feeling. My dad said the closing prayer after our Bishop shared some words with us.

Our day continued with more spiritual moments and it flowed into the next day at church. Boston was invited to sit with the Bishop during sacrament meeting, and he decided to bare his testimony.

A very spiritual and life changing weekend for us. I know that everything that took place, was meant to. Boston is an amazing child and this decision, though always planned in his life, was the most important decision he or I or anyone can ever make. The size of my heart and my capacity to feel love has grown and our family is closer. Adam and I thank our Heavenly Father everyday for these amazing angel children that we have been blessed to be with every day.

5 comments:

Ang said...

I wish I could have been there. Thank you for sharing your feelings. Give Boston a hug from me.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day.

Sam and Heidi said...

I'm so glad that we got to be there, Greta. It was so beautiful and so special. I blogged about it too. heidi

WHITE said...

Sounds like a great day, wish we could have been there!

The Shane Gang said...

I didn't know you were a blogger...so cute!