Two-year-old Old Maid

One fine afternoon, my girls were having a quite enjoyable time looking at pictures. I keep all of the pictures I have of the kids and me and Adam in a basket on the bottom of my book shelf. The girls were neglecting their chore they'd been given by their father to pick up their toys and put them away in the basement. Daddy walked of with his arms full of dolls, unicorns, ponies and dress ups down in the basement with no help at all. After a while Chloe seemed quite content and jumped up to move on to something else. Paisy had been absorbed in our wedding album. She had been looking through that little album for a good 10 minutes sitting on the floor (now I know what I should bring to church and car rides). When she finally came out of her daze with the photos, she was sobbing. I mean actual, real sobs with tears streaming down her face. In a very sad voice we hear, "I never gonna grow up! I never gonna get married! Mom, I never gonna get old. I never gonna get married!" She rushes to my leg in the kitchen with her poor two-year-old heart just broken.
Yes, I was giggling, but my heart was sad for her at the same time. What could she possibly be playing out in her head that would make her think her time would never come? Does she realize how long it will take for her to be a grown up? Is she aware of how far away that is? Perhaps she just pictures herself being 2 forever. Or maybe as her Daddy always hopes for her, she is aware of how insanely tall she is and what problems with boys may arise from that.
Adam didn't hear right away, so I asked her to tell Daddy. He was so flabbergasted by it, he wasn't sure of what to do besides just smile and laugh to himself. After explaining that she was actually heartbroken, he picked her up and told her she could marry him.
So now all is right in the world. Paisy's sobs stopped when she realized she could marry Daddy, that she too would be a bride and wear a big fancy white dress like Mommy and get married in the temple like Mommy and Daddy. And Daddy is content with the thought of Paisy just wanting to marry him.

5 comments:

Strand Family said...

Such a sweet story!
Hope you had a wonderful birthday.

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday!Pazy is so sweet. I miss you all!

Love,
Braelyn

Sam and Heidi said...

Aaaaawwhhh. That is so sweet. I love that little girls just want to marry Daddy.

The Shane Gang said...

I love this story! Just as funny as when you told me in person!

heidi said...

Greta - hi! i hope you don't mind that i found your blog! you guys are all so cute! glad to see you are doing well! -heidi ryan
www.ryanmanor.blogspot.com